The True Creative Process

One of the things the practice of art does better than anything else is to make the practitioner aware of the process. I am a big advocate of getting off the path, to stop looking for the next new thing, to be in and fully appreciate each and every moment. Sometimes I do that well, sometimes it seems like I have a long way to go. When I seem to be entertaining thoughts of the latter, I find it is because I am having expectations about what should be happening, and where I want things to go, that is being in a process which is counter-productive to true artistic and life expression. The only process that works in art is the one in which I am in the moment. When I hear that little voice in my own head, or outloud in the studio indicating the art is not where it should be, I know the path is covered with worry and effort that is not required and only serves as an obstruction to fulfillment and effortless bliss. As an artist and teacher it is so vital that I not react to these proddings of ego and worry and just be wherever the work has taken me. This is what I love about what I teach and practice. Art lets us appreciate the whole process of manifesting, not just the start and finish.

photo courtesy of freeparking at flickr.com

Comments

Popular Posts