What We Know



They say you are supposed to write about what you know. In addition to the metaphysical lessons and mystery that run through Gold Lame', is a thread about something that has also inspired me to make more than one painting on the subject: the needs of and caring for abused and neglected children.

My personal life was absolutely changed when I started working with kids. I didn't have an education degree and I was so moved by my first experiences as a lead artist with Artworks, a summer art program. I was willing to do anything to continue facilitating the impact I saw art make in the lives of challenged kids.
I was asked to facilitate art projects with children in mental health treatment.

Most of the kids I have worked with are gifted and/or emotionally and behaviorally challenged. This work taught me how forgiving kids are, how much they need to believe they are loved, how creative (and trouble-prone) they can be when trying to deal with the challenges life started handing them before they were old enough to speak. It made me stop playing my sad story, and it made me stand up for them.

One of the characters in Gold Lame' is inspired by all the children I have ever worked with when I was asked to care for the pet snail of a young boy after he when he disappeared with his mother. The snail arrived in a shallow container. I continue to hold “snail space” for children, which is opportunity to discover their strengths.

I don't think I had any agenda while writing these characters other than to honor the brave children I have known, and the people who care for them.  There have been quite a few and I am grateful for the difference they have made in my life.

Comments

Popular Posts